Saturday, April 08, 2006

Southend 2-1 Blackpool


http://www.soccerbot.com/fa/tables/uk2div06.htm

It was the "bucket and spade derby" today as our seasider friends from the frozen north visited the Essex riviera. I took my customary spot in the South Upper, Row A, Seat 143 (My season ticket seat) at 2.30 pm and readied myself for my favourite way to spend a Saturday afternoon - at Roots Hall watching the Shrimpers.

We played OK in the 1st half but gave away a sloppy goal (scored by a player on loan from Essex rivals Colchester!) and went in 1-0 down at half time.

Second half we were much brighter, first we equalised through our star player, Fredy Eastwood - another fantastic goal - beat 4 defenders and picked his spot. We got the winner with 4 minutes left, a good run down the left from our sub. Mitchell Cole (like Eastwood and ex- Wet Spam trainee that we plucked from non-league Grays Athletic) and stabbed home by Luke Guttridge, the diminuitive midfielder who was arguably our Man of the Match (although the sponsors gave the award to Eastwood).

Points to note:

  • All 3 goals were scored in the goal I sit behind - that doesn't happen very often!
  • Crowd of 8180 is great compared with previous seasons but a little disappointing considering where we are in the league
  • All the other results went for us today - Brentford drew, Huddersfield, Colchester, Swansea and Oldham all lost. We're 9 points clear of 3rd place with 5 games to go.

I love football and I love Southend United! (Irrational I know but there you go!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home