Monday, August 04, 2008

Understanding self...






As you all know by now, the new company is up and running and I've got a reasonable amount of work on (enough to pay the mortgage - not enough to think about retiring yet!).

One of the strings to my bow is that I am licensed practitioner of the Insights Discovery profiling system. This is a fascinating system that by some clever piece of software produces a remarkably accurate personal profile from just a few choices of words that you are given on an online form.

The first purpose of this is to understand ourselves, and as I reflect on some of the statements, I am constantly challenged by the difference between who I am and who I need to be both in work and in my social and church life.

For example - my strengths (from my profile) include the following:

+ Draws people together.
+ Forward looking, quick thinker.
+ Displays high levels of energy.
+ Outgoing and direct.
+ Frank, honest and straightforward leader.
+ Ingenious thinker with a great ability in long range planning.
+ Sees the positive in every situation.
+ Constantly strives to make improvements.
+ Constantly juggling a large number of projects.
+ Competitive and wants to win at all costs.

However my weaknesses include:

- His need for variety may leave some tasks incomplete.
- May step on the toes of others to achieve objectives.
- May ignore the practicalities.
- Judges strangers on first impressions.
- High sense of urgency can create stress for others.
- Generates so many ideas that chaos often ensues.
- Avoids showing his true feelings.
- His confidence can sometimes be interpreted as arrogance.
- Tends to be perceived as arrogant in stressful situations.


I'm troubled by the words "arrogance" and "arrogant" appearing in the final two.

The Insights discovery profile is a powerful thing - I need to use it to reinforce my gifts and to challenge myself to confront my weaknesses.

If you fancy having a profile yourself, or finding out more about it - drop me a line:

enquiries@genesistcc.co.uk

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home